Thursday, December 29, 2005

It's been a busy couple of days, and I'm

trying to play catch up with reviews. Here's the first of a bunch I'm working on:

THE PRODUCERS
I'm a big fan of the 1968 version starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Back then it was it was a cutting satire, and has gone down in cinema history as one of Mel Brooks' classics, along with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

I would have loved to see the LIVE Broadway version of THE PRODUCERS with Nathan Lane, and Matthew Broderick, but didn't make it to New York, due to that "lack of money" thing that keeps putting up roadblocks to doing fun stuff like seeing broadway plays. Thank god the movie version is the next best thing.
When I say "the next best thing" I mean that this film version is EXACTLY like the stage play. It's almost as if director Susan Stroman took the camera, dropped it in FRONT of the stage and filmed a performance.
The film has the look and feel of a play, right down to sensing where the intermission is, and the end of the acts. It just has that "live performance look" that is rarely captured on film, which is a interesting take.
You can't really say much about Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, except they've transferred their roles onto film. They play well off each other.
The movie felt a little too long for my liking and the pace started to drag near the end as a result, but it was a nice diversion. - C+

On a Side note
- I would pay almost anything to see someone write a Biopic of Abbott & Costello and cast Nathan Lane in the roll he's DESTINED to play (and win an Oscar for) as Lou Costello. That's all I could think of watching this movie.

Don't forget to add yourself to this sites Frappr! Map, and soon be ready to discuss films in the Forum

No comments: