Wednesday, April 26, 2006

As you read this,

The "future of DVD" will have arrived with the release of HD-DVD, and coming out very soon is Blu-Ray DVD. These 2 competing formats will be in a huge battle for your money, and the winner will become the dominate format for years to come.

Right now, the appeal is for the "early adopters".. people that like to buy any new technology as soon as it comes out, and proudly display it for others to envy. I used to be one of those people. I was the first kid on my block with a LaserDisc player, and a DVD player. Heck, for a while I sold LaserDiscs and DVDs online to other early adopters. This time round though, I will pass.

For those early adopters that ARE embracing HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD, I salute you. I think it's great that you have $600 (Canadian) to go out and purchase an HD-DVD player, then spend the $30 on one of the 4 movies available in the format to show your friends. Then when Blu-Ray comes out in a couple of months, you will have the $1,000 to buy that player and spend money of movies as well.

It is you, the early adopters that will help decide which format wins the the war, and will allow us people that waited the 12 to 24 months for the dust to clear, and purchase the next generation player that will be considerably LESS than what you paid, and will be able to select from a much wider range of movies than you had originally, and probably at a much lower price point than you had.

I applaud you early adopters for blazing this trail for the rest of us. I AM quite jealous that you will be able to purchase the HD version of RUMOR HAS IT for $40us to help advance the cause. I, however don't think I could run into my nearest Best Buy and hold my head high and say "I want that"

I have seen the picture on HD-DVD, and although it looked good, it didn't make we want to yank my Credit Card out of my wallet and wander home with one.

If any of you ARE early adopters, I'd love to know what made you decide to jump in with this technology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is unbelieveable to me that they (the manufacturers of the products you listed)continue to try to outdo each other and in so competing mainly against themselves in the long run. It is the people who buy into the "must have" frenzy , to be one of the chosen few with the "new" tech toys , that make it bad for the regular consumer...The rest of us wait and when it is finally a reasonable and justifiable price we end up purchasing it , only to find out it will be obsolete in the near future. Truth be told it sucks. No ways around it. I agree with your entry.