Sunday, May 29, 2005

When do they remake XANADU?

So, I wandered into the movie theatre, and saw THE LONGEST YARD with Adam Sandler. Last night, a local TV station showed the ORIGINAL version with Burt Reynolds, so I had this rare chance to compare the 2. First.. A Rant:

WHY do people find it so necessary to put their FEET up on the back of the seats in movie theatres? What COMPELLS people to pay $11 to be obnoxious JERKS? If it isn't their cell phone going off, they are putting their feet up beside other people's FACES? I lost it today, and actually said to the COUPLE sitting behind me "Holy CRAP your feet SMELL, you either STEPPED in something, or you have to learn to WASH them!" I figger it was worth it.

Back to the movie:

about the only thing different between the Original Version, and The Adam Sandler version was that rap music was added, and They went for the gross-out factor by replacing Bernadette Peters with Cloris Leachman. The rest was pretty much the same, except for the reworking of a few parts, like getting rid of the swamp scenes, and moving those snippets of Dialog to other parts of the Prison.

I still don't understand what the point is of re-making movies from the 70's when I'm sure that there are THOUSANDS of screenplays being submitted EVERY DAY to Hollywood execs.. I almost made a mess in my pants and the theatre when I saw the trailer for THE HONEYMOONERS.

If the studios are wondering why their profits are down from theatrical releases, maybe they should take a look at their release slate. I'm hoping that studios really AREN'T making the movie going experience a marketing tool for what should be a Direct-To-Home Video release.

Oh, Happy Memorial Day to my American friends :)

1 comment:

Thomas Huxley said...

LOL! Man i wish i could have been there when you said that to the couple. That would have been funny to see the shock on their faces.