Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I've been told

by a few people I know that my comments about THE LONGEST YARD, and especially the people that put their feet up on the backs of the seats on either side of me could be considered "harsh". People have mentioned that I was "rude" to the people in the theatre. I listened to the arguments of these people, and my reply is "Bah".

The movie going experience USED to be something that people enjoyed. When people went to movie theatres in the past, the MOVIES were the event, and actually HELD your attention. Call me STUPID, but since I WORK for a living, when I decide to spend $11(Canadian) to go to a movie, I want to SEE the movie, not someone's FOOT in my peripheral vision, or listening to someone yammer on their cell phone.

Is this what DVDs and Home Video has created? Have the manners of the movie going public just gone to hell? I don't know.. maybe these things are happening because the movies aren't as engaging, so the audience just gets bored. Maybe these people have just left a restaurant they were just kicked out of for belching during their meal and putting their feet on the table, and don't feel like going back to the trailer park just yet. I don't know.

Was I rude to the people? I don't think so. I just reacted to THEIR rude behaviour. If I wanted to be a total jerk, I could have PULLED their shoe off, and THROWN it to the front of the theatre.

So, tell me what do YOU do when someone is a jerk in a theatre? What are your reactions when someone pulls out a cell phone, or acts like the theatre is their living room, and talk and put their feet up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Garry,

Love your site.

Mike