Wednesday, June 01, 2005

In 2004, There was one movie

that blew my socks off, it was MILLION DOLLAR BABY. Written by PAUL HAGGIS, I was drawn in to this Clint Eastwood directed film that ended up winning Best Picture this year.

I bring this up because 2 weeks before Star Wars was released, I saw CRASH which was directed by PAUL HAGGIS. When the movie was over, I just sat in my chair in awe. The plot of CRASH is simple: Several stories are interwoven during two days in Los Angeles involving a collection of inter-related characters: a black police detective(Done Cheadle) with a drugged out mother and a car-thieving younger brother, the brother and his partner-in-crime who is constantly theorizing on society and race, the distracted district attorney and his irritated and pampered wife (Brenden Fraser & Sandra Bullock), a racist veteran cop (Matt Dillon) (caring for a sick father at home) who disgusts his more idealistic younger partner, a successful black Hollywood director and his wife who must deal with racist cop, a Iranian-immigrant father who buys a gun to protect his shop, an Hispanic locksmith and his young daughter who is afraid of bullets, and more.

The performances in Crash are incredible. Don Cheadle as the police detective owns this movie, but Saundra Bullock and Brendan Fraser also give great performances.. they are so good I sat there thinking "When did THEY learn to Act"? Even bit roles like Tony Danza make you go "Wow".

CRASH is a perfect example of a movie that grabs you and holds your interest. I'd say it's a must see.

Since I've seen the movie, people I've recommended it to have asked if it would be up for Oscar contention this year, and the answer is no. It was released in 2004, in Time for consideration for last year's ceremony, and well, we know the outcome of that.

The notable news today is that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have approved the screenplay for INDIANA JONES 4. Harrison Ford needs to read the screenplay since he gets script approval as well. If Harrison likes it, then the movie is a go.

Spielberg has 2 other projects on his directing plate: a story about the Munich Olympics, and another on Abraham Lincoln. It will be interesting to see if he can fit Indiana Jones in before these other projects.

There. Not all my posts will have a negative tone. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

2 comments:

Thomas Huxley said...

Hmmmmm, Interesting. I should see that movie. I like your blog.

Anonymous said...

I don't think rudeness in theatres is a consequence of Videos and DVDs. People have always talked in movies. Also, in the late 60s, some even smoked pot during the film. If not pot, tabacco for sure. I know this as I was one of them.
Forgive me.
edible woman