Sunday, June 05, 2005

"Boxing is just show business with blood." - Frank Bruno

I can count the number of movies about boxing that have grabbed my interest on one hand:
Raging Bull (1980) - Martin Scorcese's look at the story of Jake La Motta, and has been one of the most powerful (and bloody) films I've seen

The First Rocky Movie (1976) - a good story about an underdog who's given a shot at the title.

Million Dollar Baby (2004) - A boxing movie that turns out to be more about NOT boxing than boxing.

This weekend, I decided to give CINDERELLA MAN a shot. I saw the preview, and it caught my eye. I went in not expecting much, and was surprised.

The story is about Jimmy Braddock (Russel Crowe), who, as the movie opens, is riding the wave of victories in the ring that's letting him live the comfortable life with his wife Mae (Renée Zelwegger) and his 3 kids. Then the depression hits. Soon, Braddock falls on hard times. Fighting with a broken hand, Braddock's boxing license is revoked, and he can't box any more. Just as he hits the low point, his former manager (played with great flair by Paul Giamatti) gets Braddock him one fight against a #1 contender to the belt, and thus begins one of more amazing comeback stories which inspired hope for everyone during the 30's.

Sitting in the theatre, I saw more than a few resemblances to Raging Bull in regards to style - This is the first boxing film I've seen since RAGING BULL where you can almost FEEL the pain on each blow, and the performances are outstanding. Russell Crowe and Paul Giamatti should be shoe-ins for acting nominations come Oscar time. Sure, Ron Howard gives the story enough sentimentality to make you roll your eyes, but this is more about the performances than anything, and it's a nice diversion from the other summer movies out there right now. - B

I wanted to see LORDS OF DOGTOWN this weekend, but didn't have a chance. If you have seen it, would you recommend it? What movies are you looking forward to this summer?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did see Ali, I thought Will Smith gave a good performance, but at 158 minutes, I didn't think the movie showed a lot of insight into his life, it didn't have the flash and flair of Ali, and seemed more like a eulogy rather than a celebration of his life.

There are 2 choices for movies on Ali - The Michael Mann film above, and WHEN WE WERE KINGS, a great documentary about the greatest boxing match in recent memory the "Rumble in the Jungle" in 1974, where Ali fought George Foreman.

If these 2 movies were placed in front of me, I'd pick the Documentary every time.