Saturday, June 11, 2005

I think this has been my worse week ever.

No, not because the Honeymooners opened. I had a trip to the Dentist on Monday, and things went from bad to worse.

The good news: The molar he's been worried about for 2 years didn't need a root canal. He just had to prep it for a crown.

The bad news.. The Temporary crown hasn't stayed on the tooth for more than 27 hours. The gum AROUND the tooth is raw. I'm in constant pain. My diet this week has consisted of Advil or Tylenol 3, and Water. I've lost 11 lbs. Tylenol 3 doesn't last for more than 5 hours at a stretch.

During one of the lapses of pain thanks to Tylenol 3, I went to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Now, I'm not one of these people that I know that sits at the newsstand waiting for for those bastions of journalistic integrity on movie stars known as PEOPLE or US or IN TOUCH. I've never been one to get absorbed into the world of "celebrities".

I know from experience that Movie Stars are just people, and when it comes right down to it, they do everything normal people do, albeit on a grander scale. I haven't really cared about Brad Pitts love life, or who's he sleeping with, etc. .

All I care about at the end of the day is when I pay my admission if the movie stars have entertained me. If I walk out of the theatre at the end of a movie and I feel like I've seen something that has engaged me, or I've seen a great performance or performances, then I feel that the actor or actors have done their job. I leave satisfied.

I'm not an idiot either, I know the cycles of film: Summer is the season of "event" pictures, and Fall/Winter is the time for the films that want to win awards, and are for the most part, adults. I've learned that these days Summer Movies aren't supposed to be engaging on an anything but the "thrill" level, they're supposed to be more like a ride at an amusement park - Give people the maximum amount of thrills that might make them say "Whoa! I wanna do that again!" and get them BACK in line.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith is directed by DOUG LIMAN, who behind the BOURNE (Identity, Supremacy, and the soon to go in to production Ultimatum) films. This, to me guaranteed that the car chases would be tightly directed, if anything. This is a summer movie that has everything a summer movie is supposed to have: Things exploding on a grand scale, and lots of shooting. The chemistry between BRAD PITT and ANGELINA JOLIE is evident, which doesn't hurt the movie either. When I saw the movie, the theatre was sold out, filled with people that came TO see Pitt and Jolie, so there was a lot of swooning going on around me. I'm no idiot on this front either.. The demographic for a summer movie ISN'T someone over the age of 30.

At the end of the day I left the theatre knowing the movie accomplished what it set out to do: entertain people with explosions and car chases, then when the lights come up be forgotten by the time you wake up the next day. It's sorta like Chinese food for the eyes.. you get full, but a couple of hours later, you're hungry again.

It made me forget about my tooth for a couple of hours, and this is the last you shall hear me gripe about it as well.

No comments: