Sunday, June 26, 2005

Meg Ryan must've developed TASTE

When Nora Ephron and her sister were pitching their "reimagined" version of Bewitched for Studio Execs. Nicole Kidman, on the other hand, must've been the subject of some Blackmail and was forced to take this role, just as she was in last summer's flop, THE STEPFORD WIVES. Will Ferrell, well, I'm convinced that he's become such a whore that he'd take any role thrown his way, much like a starving dog will grab any scraps thrown his way in a back alley by some bum.

I'm sure that in the 254 Episodes of the TV series that there MIGHT have been enough material around to rip-off to make a almost funny 90 minute movie, however Nora Ephron and her sister, Delia decided to take a different tact - by making the movie ABOUT remaking the TV show, and having the female lead (played by Nicole Kidman) an ACTUAL witch. The first 2 thirds of the movie shows promise, but it starts going downhill fast. This movie is filled with sarcasm and in-jokes about movie making that I'm sure are quite biting in Los Angeles, but doesn't mean anything anywhere else.

Nicole Kidman in the role of the witch, I found annoying.. She seems to start off playing Meg Ryan playing Marilyn Monroe, but half way THROUGH the movie starts to play a completely different character.. It's as if suddenly she discovered who she was supposed to be.

Will Ferrell.. Well.. he plays.. Will Ferrell. The more I see of him, the more I think ELF was a fluke. Granted, I have not seen Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, but truth be told, I don't find him as funny on the big screen as I did on Saturday Night Live. I'm sure if he stopped taking every role that's thrown his way I wouldn't find him so annoying.

I see this as an opportunity lost. I think BEWITCHED would make a perfect movie - if they FOLLOWED the formula that the TV series had. In fact, the FOUNDATION is there for the movie, unfortunately this 90 minute setup has killed ANY chance of it ever materializing, and that's too bad.

Sitting through this version, I could have SWORN I heard Elizabeth Mongomery rolling over in her grave, and I'm sure the bottled water the person next to me was filled with Dick York's TEARS.

Bewitched is a D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said ... makes me want to wait and rent it ... just to see if this is accurate. :o)

Thanks