Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

When I was a kid, one of the first "adult" movies I saw on TV was THE GRADUATE, directed by Mike Nicols, and starring DUSTIN HOFFMAN and ANNE BANCROFT. Back then, when I was 12, the movie was quite risqué.

Now, I can appreciate it for dialog like this:

Benjamin: Mrs. Robinson, I can't do this.
Mrs. Robinson: You what?
Benjamin: This is all terribly wrong.
Mrs. Robinson: Do you find me undesirable?
Benjamin: Oh no, Mrs. Robinson. I think, I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends. I mean that.

Anne Bancroft's career varied, The sixties in general were her best years, with movies like The Pumpkin Eater (1964) directed by Jack Clayton, 7 Women (1966) directed by John Ford.

In 1962, Bancroft went from supporting roles, to winning an Oscar for her role as Annie Sullivan and her struggle to teach the blind and deaf Helen Keller how to communicate, In THE MIRACLE WORKER, directed by Arthur Penn.

After the 60's Bancroft reduced her appearances in movies but still had roles in films like Garbo Talks (1984) directed by Sidney Lumet.

Today, word came out that Anne Bancroft died in New York of uterine cancer. She was 73.

My thoughts and condolences go out to her husband, Mel Brooks and the rest of her family.

No comments: