Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What an IMAX-ination you have...

There used to be a theatre in my town (The North Hill Cinerama Theatre) that was one of the best places to see movies. About the only theatre left that I know of that resembles it is the CINERAMA theatre in Seattle. I'm sure that there are a couple of others, but that is the one I'm familiar with.

The North Hill theatre used to show 70-mm movies on their 60' X 20' screen, and it was jaw dropping. I saw 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY and APOCALYPSE NOW on that screen at least 5 times, and it was impressive. Same with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, The sound and clarity of the picture is what I really remember. 70-mm went out of style, mostly due to the cost of the prints, and the shipping of them to theaters. A piece of movie-going history was lost.

Now, I'm really getting into watching IMAX films. It's just like seeing 70-mm again, and I think everyone should experience it at least ONCE. Normally, an IMAX movie runs 45 minutes, and is Documentary style films, as most IMAX theaters are in Museums, etc.

But IMAX has perfected it's DMR Technology, so they can take ANY 35-mm movie and convert it to IMAX size with little or no grain. There have been only a few films released in IMAX DMR: Star Wars: Episode II," "Matrix Reloaded" and "Matrix Revolutions.", "Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets" & "Spider-Man 2", and Polar Express 3D. This summer the latest DMR movies will be released: "Batman Begins" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

It's been interesting to see this technology mature. At first, for Apollo 13, and Attack of the Clones, the films could only be 2 hours long. The 2 hour time limit isn't a BAD thing: I hate to admit it, but I prefer the IMAX version of CLONES to the Theatrical version. About 20 minutes of the film had to be cut, and the editors at Lucasfilm made the right choices. The other problem at the start was since an IMAX Screen is SQUARE, movies that are anamorphic had to be cropped, so it was like you were watching a pan-and-scan version of the movie.

Now, IMAX DMR presentations are letterboxed (No, you don't NOTICE the black bars. The screen is LARGE enough that they aren't intrusive), and there is no 2 hour time limit.

I think IMAX DMR presentations are the closest thing to a true "movie going experience" these days. You can't help but be in AWE of the picture and sound. Hopefully, Hollywood will see the audiences reactions to IMAX releases and help nurture it. I've heard that IMAX has now perfected the technology to take ANY 35mm Movie, and convert it to IMAX 3D. My mind reels at the door this opens.. CASABLANCA in 3D.. I'd be in heaven.

What movie would you like to see in IMAX 3D? It seems the sky is the limit.

No comments: